fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification?

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31238

• vbctv2005
  • Thank you received: 9
I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that we are worried about JoomDev right now. We have had a huge lack of communication and nobody seems to know what is going on right now. Development has seemed to lapse as updates are getting fewer and far between.
It would be great if we could get some answers and/or at least some direction as to what is going on and if JoomDev is continuing.

Me personally as someone who runs a larger site using JoomDev, currently I'm afraid to develop new stuff on my website out of fear that I will have to rebuild my site using a new template provider. I have a lot of things I want to do right now including eventually updating for Joomla 4 but it's on hold because I have no idea if JoomDev will be around a few months from now and all my work will be for not and I'll have to do it again.
I love JoomDev and what they provide. You give a great vanilla framework with Bootstrap 4 support that we can build upon. The Astroid Framework and Astroid One Template are great for anyone who just needs something to build a great custom site around.
But again the writing on the wall is lack of updates and/or communication from the admins.
I believe all anybody here wants at this point is some kind of communication or announcement regarding the future. It's been months since we've seen a new template even. The last Astroid Framework update was 2 months ago.
We al understand the pandemic has been hard on businesses. I live in the USA, things are closed left and right because of short staff. We're not asking for the problems to be solved in a day, week or month. We just want communication and to know we aren't all going to be screwed if we keep developing using JoomDev products and NOT have to re-develop again in a month or two with something different.
As a person who has been here since almost day one and been using JoomDev for over 2 years now, I want to try and be a leader for everyone who I know has fears here in the forums and JoomDev in general. I hope we can get a response so we can start or keep developing our great websites that everyone here has built or atleast know the next steps we should take.

We thank you for your response and again we all love JoomDev.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dankra, ideasgirl

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31244

• dankra
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
::following::

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31256

• ideasgirl
  • Thank you received: 1
Here we are 2 days after your post and nothing has been said. I sent a contact form a month ago and never got a reply (and I'm a paying customer).

I'm starting to have palpitations. :unsure:

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31263

• vbctv2005
ideasgirl wrote:
Here we are 2 days after your post and nothing has been said. I sent a contact form a month ago and never got a reply (and I'm a paying customer).

I'm starting to have palpitations. :unsure:

I'm giving it a few more weeks only before I think it's time to move on. The last commits on the Astroid Framework were on Aug 19, the same day the 2.5.4 version was released. It looks like there has been no development since then. 3 days later there has been no response and only moderators seem to be giving light support here on the forums. The admins haven't been online for over a month from what I checked on their forum profiles.
If by the end of October there still is no response or some kind of statement, then it's time to move on because I'm personally in a hold on development. I wanna start development towards upgrading to Joomla 4. I loved the JoomDev project and Astroid Framework but it's looking more and more like it's done. I'm starting to feel for stability you have to stick with the major 3 (JoomlArt, JoomShaper & Rockettheme).
I'm disappointed by the way things have gone down hill here and unfortunately there comes a point where there is no answers that you have to make a choice and my choice will come at the end of the month if we are still having no responses and admins are still missing.
I'm actually shocked not even the moderators have reached out with some kind of concern or statement if they know anything. This is more surprising that I feel they are in the dark also.

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31264

• dankra
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
For what it's worth, I reached out to Joomdev via FB messenger and had this exchange earlier today - see attached screenshot.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: vbctv2005, ideasgirl

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31267

• vbctv2005
dankra wrote:
For what it's worth, I reached out to Joomdev via FB messenger and had this exchange earlier today - see attached screenshot.

And today is pretty much over and no response still.
Starting to prepare for the worse but hope for the best.
Atleast you got some kind of response even though it didn't happen.

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31265

• ideasgirl
And Rocket is also not being diligent with new templates this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjmatthews

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31269

• sjmatthews
  • Thank you received: 3
vbctv2005 wrote:
I'm giving it a few more weeks only before I think it's time to move on. The last commits on the Astroid Framework were on Aug 19, the same day the 2.5.4 version was released. It looks like there has been no development since then. 3 days later there has been no response and only moderators seem to be giving light support here on the forums. The admins haven't been online for over a month from what I checked on their forum profiles.
If by the end of October there still is no response or some kind of statement, then it's time to move on because I'm personally in a hold on development. I wanna start development towards upgrading to Joomla 4. I loved the JoomDev project and Astroid Framework but it's looking more and more like it's done. I'm starting to feel for stability you have to stick with the major 3 (JoomlArt, JoomShaper & Rockettheme).
I'm disappointed by the way things have gone down hill here and unfortunately there comes a point where there is no answers that you have to make a choice and my choice will come at the end of the month if we are still having no responses and admins are still missing.
I'm actually shocked not even the moderators have reached out with some kind of concern or statement if they know anything. This is more surprising that I feel they are in the dark also.

It is a shame. I'm going to keep one eye on whats happening here, but will be actively looking for another provider because i think if JoomDev does stop, this forum and website will just disappear, so i would download everything you need now! :(

Out of Joomlart and Joomshaper, does anyone have any recommendations? - i would include Rocket, but it has been mentioned they've not been updating either! :dry:

Does the wider question of "is joomla days itself numbered?" if these companies are disappearing. If people have to build their own templates from scratch without a builder, will it take joomla out of the beginners market? :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: vbctv2005

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 3 weeks ago #31270

• vbctv2005
I would suggest either Joomlart or Joomshaper, can't go wrong with either, both support Bootstrap 4.
As far as Rockettheme, they released a blog post on Oct 6 stating that they are working heavily on making gantry 5 work with Joomla 4. They have to re-write the whole thing and that is why we haven't seen any updates. Trust me as someone who used to use Rockettheme, they will never go away and will always release new templates and their support is top notch.

Joomla isn't going anywhere because you will always have the Top 4 in Joomlart, Joomshaper, Rockettheme and YooTheme.

The companies that have been around for a long time are going nowhere, it's the newer companies that can't seem to get a user base that are going away because developers are already satisfied with their current. And I'm starting to see and understand why you should just stay with one framework or provider that is trustworthy.
I thought JoomDev was going to be good because of all the features but sometimes the grass isn't always greener, the features aren't worth the headache.

And again here we are and still no response from JoomDev at all and still no communication.

State Of JoomDev? Can we please get some clarification? 1 month 2 weeks ago #31301

• latino07
Hi All:
I was also concerned, BTW did'nt renew subscription early OCT because lack of information and updates. My advise look for Template provider with support for Joomla 4 from approx date of J 4 GA. Look for those developers with long term history with Joomla.

It is a fact that various developers are moving to WP. Developers with little commitment to J 4, probably could be closing shop in the future. And yes I will be choosing from the two mentioned in posts above, H. Visit website check the blog, forum about Joomla 4 support and progress. Finally check github (If possible) and look for code improvements for Joomla 4. The word is consistency and commitment. This reco will apply for templates and extensions developers.

Joomla 4 will bring new life and growth to Joomla! Here the link to Top Rated extensions, see many already support Joomla 4:
extensions.joomla.org/browse/top-rated/?start=0

Be safe.

p.d.
I also contacted JoomDev on OCT 6, 2021 still NO feedback or response:
Hi:
No new news about your Templates compatible with Joomla 4. Templates chage log shows July 2021 for most recent. Your August 16 blog post:

"The Astroid framework based templates will be fully compatible with J4 in a week or two and for the rest of the templates which are based on other frameworks, we are migrating them to Astroid and they will be fully compatible within the coming few months."

Could be useful to post a status update. Because of the lack of update info I decided to not renew on Oct 2 when my subscription expired. Will follow your blog so maybe in future I could subscribe again.

Thanks in advance,
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by latino07.
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds
Cron Job Starts