fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best Alternatives to Astroid Framework!!!

Best Alternatives to Astroid Framework!!! 2 months 3 weeks ago #31420

• vbctv2005
  • Thank you received: 9
So I thought I would post this and help everyone now that Astroid & JoomDev has officially shut it's doors.
When picking a new provider, you should look at that ones who have been around a long time and are likely not going away anytime soon.
  • JoomShaper - Helix
  • YooTheme - YOOtheme Pro
  • Rockettheme - Gantry
  • Joomlart - T4

These are the 4 that have been around over 10 years and will likely be around for the next 10. These are the safe bets.
As far as one that is close to Astroid, I would pick Helix from Joomshaper. I have been playing with it for about a week now and it's very plugged and play coming from Astroid. My custom CSS was able to be used with minor changes (swapping out JoomDev stuff with Helix stuff) and of course since Astroid was Bootstrap 4, Helix is Bootstrap 5, so again very little changes there. Mostly if any of your custom HTML contain float-right or float-left, be sure to change it to float-start or float-end.

This is the best advice I can give as everyone here will now have to find a new provider. It's not the end of the world, always remember to test you site in a localhost first.

I'll be honest with everyone, I run Sparkk TV which is an Online TV Streaming service. So when I say I run a very large site, I meant it. So we have chosen to switch to Helix and I'm 4 days into localhost testing and I'm 95% ready to take it to my live site. That's how much plug and play it was compared to Astroid. I literally copied my custom CSS for Astroid to Helix and made minor changes to the code for some stuff to work. I setup Helix the same layout and module positions as Astroid was setup for me. Used the same css classes.
Now personally I took this opportunity to also update some of our pages which is why it's taking longer for me. And also upgrading from Widgetkit 2 to 3 which also requires a lot of custom css changes. But most people don't have to do that.

If you're already set-up for Astroid fully, then Helix or T4 are your best choices because they have Bootstrap 4 or 5. Gnatry does not have Bootstrap built-in and uses Joomla 3's built-in Bootstrap 2 which is very out of date. And YOOtheme Pro uses it's own UIKit instead of Bootstrap.

If anyone else wants to give more advice, please feel free to, I just wanted to try and help people out. Again we will miss JoomDev...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Best Alternatives to Astroid Framework!!! 2 months 3 weeks ago #31421

• Sch
  • Thank you received: 7
It's really sad to read the news, but we already thought that.

Thanks for your list of alternatives to Astroid.

I have already looked at Helix Ultimate 2.0 and find it similar to Astroid. Astroid was more comprehensive in some things though. On the whole, however, it can be adapted well.

Many customers have also used the JD Builder. I can recommend the page builder from JoomShaper.

Thanks JoomDev anyway!

Best Alternatives to Astroid Framework!!! 2 months 3 weeks ago #31422

• latino07
  • Thank you received: 1
vbctv2005 wrote:
So I thought I would post this and help everyone now that Astroid & JoomDev has officially shut it's doors.
When picking a new provider, you should look at that ones who have been around a long time and are likely not going away anytime soon.
  • JoomShaper - Helix
  • YooTheme - YOOtheme Pro
  • Rockettheme - Gantry
  • Joomlart - T4

These are the 4 that have been around over 10 years and will likely be around for the next 10. These are the safe bets.
As far as one that is close to Astroid, I would pick Helix from Joomshaper. I have been playing with it for about a week now and it's very plugged and play coming from Astroid. My custom CSS was able to be used with minor changes (swapping out JoomDev stuff with Helix stuff) and of course since Astroid was Bootstrap 4, Helix is Bootstrap 5, so again very little changes there. Mostly if any of your custom HTML contain float-right or float-left, be sure to change it to float-start or float-end.

This is the best advice I can give as everyone here will now have to find a new provider. It's not the end of the world, always remember to test you site in a localhost first.

I'll be honest with everyone, I run Sparkk TV which is an Online TV Streaming service. So when I say I run a very large site, I meant it. So we have chosen to switch to Helix and I'm 4 days into localhost testing and I'm 95% ready to take it to my live site. That's how much plug and play it was compared to Astroid. I literally copied my custom CSS for Astroid to Helix and made minor changes to the code for some stuff to work. I setup Helix the same layout and module positions as Astroid was setup for me. Used the same css classes.
Now personally I took this opportunity to also update some of our pages which is why it's taking longer for me. And also upgrading from Widgetkit 2 to 3 which also requires a lot of custom css changes. But most people don't have to do that.

If you're already set-up for Astroid fully, then Helix or T4 are your best choices because they have Bootstrap 4 or 5. Gnatry does not have Bootstrap built-in and uses Joomla 3's built-in Bootstrap 2 which is very out of date. And YOOtheme Pro uses it's own UIKit instead of Bootstrap.

If anyone else wants to give more advice, please feel free to, I just wanted to try and help people out. Again we will miss JoomDev...

Congratulations nice to know using Joomla there. Agree with your list and Helix should be consideration #1. RT my concern is support and forum activity very limited only Mr T., so ...

In spars.tv which extension or plugin you use for the media? If you can share. or is a functionality available within Widgetkit or zoo? Used to use Joomvideos from Joombost but concerned about their slow support. Last release for JoomVideos July 2020...

Finally recognize Joomdev for their contribution to Joomla. Not everyone post products to GitHub when closing shop.

Thanks Joomdev.

B)

Best Alternatives to Astroid Framework!!! 2 months 3 weeks ago #31424

• vbctv2005
  • Thank you received: 9
latino07 wrote:

Congratulations nice to know using Joomla there. Agree with your list and Helix should be consideration #1. RT my concern is support and forum activity very limited only Mr T., so ...

In spars.tv which extension or plugin you use for the media? If you can share. or is a functionality available within Widgetkit or zoo? Used to use Joomvideos from Joombost but concerned about their slow support. Last release for JoomVideos July 2020...

Finally recognize Joomdev for their contribution to Joomla. Not everyone post products to GitHub when closing shop.

Thanks Joomdev.

B)

At Sparkk TV we use mostly Zoo & Widgetkit only. We have customized Zoo to fit our needs for mostly every page. Zoo is very customizable out of the box. Then Widgetkit which works with Zoo for all the sliders.
We actually create every page in Zoo also and use a combo of Bootstrap & link to the Widgetkits within the Bootstrap code. Therefore no need for a page builder. Everypage is already built and ready for any template.

Also yes Helix needs to be #1 for everyone to switch to, but I've used Rockettheme in the past and I will give Mr. T credit, he is very good. And Gantry is open-source and community built, so even if Rockettheme stops making new templates, there is a whole community behind it, including InspireTheme and others. But as Rockettheme has said a month ago, their priority right now is not new templates, but getting Gantry to work with Joomla 4, then I'm sure you will see them release some new templates again. I think Joomla 4 really slowed everyone down because of the changes. Plus Rocketteheme is not really the top dog anymore, that would be JoomShaper & Joomlart which are the go-to's now.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by vbctv2005.
The following user(s) said Thank You: latino07

Best Alternatives to Astroid Framework!!! 2 months 3 weeks ago #31425

• latino07
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you Vbctv2005!

I used in the past Cobalt. Waiting for new version.

Not sure how this could be a decision criteria, but given Joomla have lost some developers (JoomDev now), I would stick with those with focus on not many extensions as maintenance / development complicates and delays things. But that is my point of view.

I will stick with Joomla. Time will tell if Joomla 4 is enough to stop users erosion and at least keep key developers (including 3rd party of course).

Later,

B)
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by latino07.

Best Alternatives to Astroid Framework!!! 2 months 2 weeks ago #31436

• ImageVillage
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Definitely use Joomlart and Gavickpro, already on J4 and T4 framework is awesome, way less buggy, super clean and their T4 builder is slick too:
www.joomlart.com/t4-builder/t4-joomla-page-builder

Support is on point too.
If you can be anything in this world, be kind!
Moderators: chandandeep
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds
Cron Job Starts